Eating for fuel or cooking for pleasure...
This week I've been thinking about eating and cooking. Maybe because its the holidays, or maybe its because L's influence on me, or maybe some of both, but I've taken a step back in time and found pleasure in preparing and eating food.In recent years I've come to see eating as a fueling activity; a pitstop on the race through life. Get in and get out - minimal preparation time and in a maximum rush. Years ago I developed a list of several dozen meals I could throw together in 30 minutes or less. And the best ones are the 30 minute meals with leftovers that can carry you though at least one more meal with 2 minutes on high in the microwave.
But I enjoy cooking. So why don't I slow down a little, eat better and enjoy the process a little more?
Today, just for fun, I'm making a batch of yogurt. I haven't done that in 25 years! L whipped up a batch of granola, and I made a decadent chocolate mousse to take to the New Year's Eve Party tonight. I'll let you know if the yogurt turns out OK. Of course this kind of resolve falls apart when one has too many other commitments. Maybe I can let go of a few of those.
No comments:
Post a Comment