Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Walk on the tame side...

I had to drop a check off at the neighborhood bank, so I took off about 9pm for the short walk there. After the drop my legs were just getting warmed up and I decided to keep walking. I ended up covering most of the college green subdivision on foot, and I found myself searching for any houses that backed to the south. Of the hundreds in the area, only a handful were.

I'm amazed and disappointed that the #1 developer in my town has absolutely no sensitivity to solar orientation. Did he go out of his way to make sure his houses have few or no windows facing south?

By the end of my walk I felt overwelmed by the cookie-cutter sameness to the look and feel of the houses. Everything is neat and tidy. Well trimmed lawns, nice sidewalks everywhere, adequate landscaping. Every house has a brick facade and at least a two car garage. Formulaic. Designed to sell. And resell.

But where is the beauty?

This is not my neighborhood.

But then, if I believe the survey that Joe mentioned the other day, I should get out of Goshen and move to Salisbury, Maryland or Hot Springs, Arkansas. Which made me wonder what you'd have to say to have the survey tell you you'd love Goshen.

No comments: