Friday, December 15, 2006

More transitions

Today Mom moved to Greencroft. I told her I never thought I'd see this day. She said she didn't either - she didn't think she'd live past 80! Personally, I think she's good for another 8 or 10 years at the least.

So I took off midday and ran over to her new apartment. Jake was just pulling in, but being 19 he beat the caravan of Don's truck and trailer and Mom's car by a good 15 minutes. We had everything unloaded by noon, then swung by my place to unload the washer and dryer. (I've been looking forward to that!) Then it was over the the Soda Shop for a quick lunch before going our separate ways. All done by 1pm!

I have to say Mom's new place is nice. She was very thoughtful about what she'd bring over, and somehow found a nice balance between spartan and homey. Greencroft completely refurbished the space so it feels and smells like new. She'll be all set up to paint, and sometime next week she'll get a new Internet connection up. (My fault for the delay - I thought I had another week or so yet.)

The amazing thing is that it is only 3/4 mile from my place.

In other news, I decided this week to do a house sitting job for an acquaintance this spring. Marge is leading a GC SST Unit to Peru, and I can stay at her place from April to July. That starts when I have to be out of this place and it gives me more time to look for what I want. Not only that but thanks to a nice discount on rent for basic lawn care I'll have more time to build my down payment. I have to firm it up with her, but I'm optimistic that it will work out and that it is the right thing for now.

I'm home tomorrow, but then taking off Sunday noon for Minnesota. A couple of us are going to visit a client in the south-central part of the state. We have a packed day Monday with visits with four different groups of people in this company. I'll be leading most of the sessions. Right now I think meetings like these are the part of my job I like the most.

No comments: