Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Stress...

Last night I was talking with a friend (ok - it was more like unloading). At some point he shook his head and said, "Man, I can't believe how many transitions are going on in your life right now."

I know that, but it got me thinking about one of those supermarket magazine-style surveys I saw years ago that told you your risk for getting cancer or some other major illness due to life stress. I did the google thing and found the 'life stress test' in about 45 seconds. I did a quick run through and added up 484 points. And they didn't even have a category for 'Helped mother move out of family home and pack up over 50 years of momentos and family history." I'm guessing that would put me well over 500 points. Anything over 300 points puts me at 'High susceptibility to stress-related illness'. (Of course according to the web site this also puts me at high susceptibility to their product pitch.)

The web site says "Daily practice of relaxation skills is very important for your wellness. Take care of it now before a serious illness erupts or an affliction becomes worse."

Which is why I'm writing this post while eating shavings of 5 year old waterloo county cheddar cheese, washed down with a glass of really cheap Australian Cab-Sav.

Today was clean up day at the family homestead. What a day. I'm so grateful that my brother was leading the charge. He had a very pragmatic attitude about the whole thing and we sorted, boxed, packed, loaded, and pitched from 8 until 2. He even had the sense to call for a coffee break at The Mayberry at about 10 and we all had a second breakfast. Thanks to hard work by Leena and Jake it went pretty fast. We got it done.

Toughest part - we had a brief ashes scattering ceremony in the wild corner. (Maybe someday I'll post my account of my hike to the back of Pike's Peak last year for the same purpose. Let me know if you're interested.) High point - was remembering and digging out the rock bird bath. John O'Donohue says that the dead aren't far away... and I believe that. Thats what I experienced today.

Meanwhile, Ben drove back to DC today. He should be arriving about now. Hope the drive went safely.

Well, the wine is about done and I need to get some supper together.

No comments: