Bach
I woke up in time to make it to choir practice, and then singing in church. We did Bach Cantata 180, 'Soul, Adorn thyself with gladness' (or 'Schmücke dich, o liebe Seele').I can't hit the high G that the tenors get in the penultament phrase, so I sang Bass. The low G that shows up for the basses is a reach, but my voice has dropped at least 1 1/2 steps in the last 30 years and I can get it now.
Bach's moving bass lines are among my favourites, I think because of the way he uses accidentals (raising or lowering a tone by half a step from what you expect from the key signature). I think my favourite line is in that same penultament phrase: Our line goes G, Bb, A, G, A, B Natural, C, D, E, F, G, G (octave down). That B Natural is such a sweet touch, and so JS Bach.
No comments:
Post a Comment