Tuesday, October 28, 2008

So what do you say about the Philippines?...

(I've added all the photos that I think I'm going to add. Scroll down to see them all.)

At the end of the trip Ben told me that a Filipino would be asking me "So what do you have to say about the Philippines?" (I thing those are the exact words - maybe he'll correct me.)

I gave him a lame answer like "I've just been here a few days and I haven't seen enough to draw any meaningful conclusions."

Ben wouldn't let me off the hook: "That's not enough. They'd want a better answer."

So here are a couple of observations:

- The land is beautiful and the people are gentle and friendly.
- I don't know when I've seen such chaotic traffic. Roads are packed with jeepneys, tricycles (motor scooters with a sidecar), motorbikes, bicycles, buses, and even a few cars. Everyone turns any direction at any time, and pass on the left or right. Lanes are an ideal that nobody pays attention to.
- Exhaust fumes are thick on the major roads.
- In spite of complete chaos on the roads I never saw anyone exhibit anything close to road rage. In fact Ben told me that expressing anger in any form was frowned on.
- A good way to stop a conversation is to explain that you are divorced.
- They have the worst bread I've ever eaten.

There are probably more, but that's a good start and after 3 days back I'm still feeling jet lag.

Besides - it is time to get back to the election...

No comments: