Wednesday, September 12, 2007

SatNav...

I mentioned in the previous post that I insisted on getting a GPS navigation system with my rental car. This is the first time I've used one while I'm driving (I've ridden with other people when they've had them on). If you've never used one, they are fantastic when you're in strange territory.

It seems to me though that they could use a little more humor and a little more positive feedback. Mine has a proper British female voice: "Left turn in 300 yards." Why don't they have several optional voices that the driver can choose from. In addition to the proper British, I'd like to be able to choose from different regions and different demeanors. What if you could select say a sexy female from the southern US, or a British voice with attitude, or nice French accent? The combinations are endless.

The other thing is they need more positive feedback. Back home we have exactly one roundabout in our whole town. (I call it the intersection people love to hate.) Here they are everywhere. Each time I executed one (keep in mind I'm driving on the left, so everything is backwards) I was dancing in my seat, but the stupid voice didn't even acknowledge it. I wanted to hear it say "Take the SECOND exit from the Roundabout.... Exit now... Good Job! You are doing great! ... Now proceed for 1 mile..."

But alas, they don't work that way so I had to tell myself.

1 comment:

Floyd Saner said...

I think a sexy female voice saying, "I'll be waiting for you after you turn left at the next road" would be nice. Might be wishful thinking, but that's what we old codgers live with anyway.