Friday, October 27, 2006

Orchids

You'll never guess what was in my mailbox tonight! I'm so excited. OK, you can see it here in the photo. Neil's music arrived today!



If you don't know the story, this is the music that my mother commissioned for the Maple City Chamber Orchestra in memory of my dad. The funds came from the sale of his orchids after his death. Neil Dufallo is a fantastic NYC-based violinist/composer with shoestring connections to the MCCO. He was delighted to tackle the project and today I got the score and parts. I can't wait to hear it, but it looks like it will be fun and accessible by our little group. It is written for string orchestra, so it should lay out nicely for quartet too. The piece is titled Fragments of Celestial Color, and is based on Maori legends about orchids, and, of course, photos of my dad's orchids. I haven't seen the program notes yet so that is as much as I know.

Rehearsals start after Christmas, with world premier at Sauder Hall on February 25. You better be there!

No comments: