Friday, October 27, 2006

More travel whining and KC - a winning combination

The other day I couldn't stop myself from whining about business travel. Last night I sat for an hour or so in the Kansas City airport listening to a recorded voice welcoming me to "Kansas City, a 2006 All American City. PLEASE, enjoy your stay" - and contemplating my rental car bill.

OK, nephew Joe Miller, author of Cross-X, about the Kansas City (MO) Central High School Debate Team, has on occassion gone over the top in his rants about KC politicians, and frankly I've rolled my eyes and wondered if he needs to watch his blood pressure. But I have to say when I saw my bill I began to get it. The bill, for a 23 hour car rental came to $71.84. What got my attention is that the actual rental fee came to exactly $50.80. So what is the other $21.04? You got it: Taxes! Here is the itemized list:

MPT Fee $1.42
9% AP Fee $4.70
CFC Fee $3.00
Arena Fee $4.00
TFC Fee $2.00
Sales Tax (8.97%) $5.92

OK the extra fees are enough, but you know what really frosts my ears? Its the sales tax on the taxes! The @!#*ing Sales tax of 8.97% is not 8.97% of the car rental, its on that and everything else! And, may I ask, what the hell is an MPT, a CFC and a TFC?

I need to check my own blood pressure.

Anyhow, I made it home safely and almost on time. And no travel until Monday at 5:30am.

1 comment:

Joe Miller said...

Incredible! It's worse than i thought. I'll try and find out what alll those acronyms mean.