Friday, October 20, 2006

Obligations


Recently I had dinner with a new prospective customer. I had just met this fellow, and his company really needs our software and help. He is clearly interested in what we're doing and have to offer. It would be a great business opportunity for us.

In the course of the evening I learned that our political viewpoints are polar opposites. As he described the debate leading up to the Iraq war you didn't need a blood pressure monitor to see his rise with his indignation over the opposition to the war.

I found myself mildly bemused at his anger and emotion. Clearly here is a someone with a very different view of reality. But I didn't get hooked into his emotion and I felt a greater obligation to my stakeholders - my partner and my employees - to win his business than to 'correct his errors in judgement.'

Still, I felt a little guilty about keeping my mouth shut and implying approval of his view. The bottom line is that I had no hope of changing his view point and I want his business. But have I sacrificed principle for opportunity?

No comments: