Fast Trip
24 1/2 hours. That's how long I was on the road.
Mom picked my up at 7am Saturday and we drove to St. Louis. I forgot how beautiful the arch is, even driving by at 60 mph. Stunning architecture.
The Big Read! It was so cool to be there. I helped Joe pass out fliers. I had this infectious enthusiasm about Joe's book that made it easy walk up and say "Do you have one of these( (handing them a flier). This is an invitation to a reading at 5pm in Tent C. My nephew - we're all so proud of him - just released his first book, Cross X. Its about a high school debate team from Central High School, which is a failing intercity school, and how their debate team wins a national championship. You'll love the story."
Unfortunately I don't think anybody that I handed the flier to came to the presentation, and from their perspective I can see why not: most of them were there to check out the booths, browse the book racks and have a fun time with their kids. The author presentations, many of them on food and travel - were not the main attraction. I wonder if the organizers were happy with the turn out. I'm not saying the fliers aren't a good idea, but they may be more to get people to look at the book than to come to the presentation.
What I did notice is that the rich white folks that I talked to - which were most of the people there - connected immediately to what Rinehart called the Mighty Ducks part of the story: underdogs succeed against overwhelming odds and win national championship. The real story, I think - and I haven't read the book yet so don't hold me to this - is about Joe's coming to terms with white priviledge.
I digress.
I got to meet Shark-fu, The Angry Black Bitch. She caught me off guard. Maybe I shouldn't blow her cover, but my first impression was she didn't seem angry enough. Her sharp wit is evident, as is her ready critique of 21st century reality. But there is love there too. Actually it comes through in her posts, so I'm not really blowing her cover.
Joe's read was fantastic. The story's hero's: Marcus, Ebony & Jane were on stage with Joe. Obvious love and respect between all four of them. My comment to Mom on the way back to the car was 'I'll vote for Marcus any chance I get. '
Then 4 hours N to Flanigan. I crawled into bed at 11, woke up at 3am and jumped in the car without waking anyone and was home by 7:30. 24 1/2 hours later.
Short nap later and I'm doing my final pack and house cleaning before I get the key to my new apartment.
I've always thought the saying 'Today is the first day of the rest of your life' rated up there in swarmeyness with 'smile, jesus loves you'. Both may be true, but dammit, keep your mouth shut if that's all you can say. But that is actually how I feel.
1 comment:
Thank you so much for coming. And for passing out flyers! It really meant a lot to me to have you and Grandma there!!
Post a Comment