Sunday, September 21, 2008

Signs of our times...

Yesterday I ran out to Menards to pick up a few things for a project I'm working on in my back yard. More on the project later. As I pulled away I passed the payday loan store on 33 and was astonished at their sign: "Bring in your unemployment check to arrange your loan".

I guess these people have to do what they can to keep their business going, but hello? should you really be loaning money to people who have been laid off? And if you've been laid off is now the time to be taking out a loan?

OK - maybe they're offering debt consolidation or something like that. But I doubt it. We're entitled to that big screen tv and we have the keep the economy moving.

Is anybody home? I'm going to get saddled with my share of a half a trillion - TRILLION - dollars in bad debt from stupid loans made by greedy bankers. And the payday loan sharks want to loan money to people who are out of work.

Minutes later I stopped at the Save-A-Lot to pick up some milk. On the way out I noticed this sign jammed in the median a couple of places around the entry like an election sign: "There's a fish stick dinner in your gas tank".

Huh?

And speaking of election signs, my neighbor has an "Eight is Enough/Obama - Biden 2008" sign. I find myself wanting to deface it with a can of spray paint: cross out "enough" and paint "too much".

What a great country.

1 comment:

Joe Miller said...

Payday lenders are a scurge. They're one of the many forces in America that keep poor folks poor. If your payday lenders are like the ones in our state, they probably have a rollover fee system that jacks the interest rate up to 500 to 900 percent.