Sunday, September 28, 2008

More...

Since I don't own a TV, I hear about stuff like the Couric / Palin interview second hand. Thanks to Google, however, it is no great feat to get a live transcript and get the primary source.

Can you believe this?
Couric: You’ve cited Alaska’s proximity to Russia as part of your foreign policy experience. What did you mean by that?

Sarah Palin:That Alaska has a very narrow maritime border between a foreign country, Russia, and, on our other side, the land-boundary that we have with Canada. It’s funny that a comment like that was kinda made to … I don’t know, you know … reporters.

Couric: Mocked?

Palin: Yeah, mocked, I guess that’s the word, yeah.

Couric: Well, explain to me why that enhances your foreign-policy credentials.

Palin: Well, it certainly does, because our, our next-door neighbors are foreign countries, there in the state that I am the executive of. And there…

Couric: Have you ever been involved in any negotiations, for example, with the Russians?

Palin: We have trade missions back and forth, we do. It’s very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia. As Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where do they go? It’s Alaska. It’s just right over the border. It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there, they are right next to our state.


Trade missions = negotations? Hell, I've been on a trade mission. The difference is that I actually left the US, but regardless I can tell you there was very little negotiation going on.

Rears his head? As Joe asked, what is he, a serpent?

Comes into US airspace? Huh...?

Are we sending people out across the Bering Strait to keep an eye on the Ruskies?

I, too, am tempted to mock - except this is so scary.

Or this...
Couric: But he's (McCain) been in Congress for 26 years. He's been chairman of the powerful Commerce Committee. And he has almost always sided with less regulation, not more.

Palin: He's also known as the maverick though, taking shots from his own party, and certainly taking shots from the other party. Trying to get people to understand what he's been talking about - the need to reform government.

Couric: But can you give me any other concrete examples? Because I know you've said Barack Obama is a lot of talk and no action. Can you give me any other examples in his 26 years of John McCain truly taking a stand on this?

Palin: I can give you examples of things that John McCain has done, that has shown his foresight, his pragmatism, and his leadership abilities. And that is what America needs today.

Couric: I'm just going to ask you one more time - not to belabor the point. Specific examples in his 26 years of pushing for more regulation.

Palin: I'll try to find you some and I'll bring them to you.

Thank you, Governor. We're waiting to hear from you.

Surprisingly, it isn't just the liberal press that is after her. Conservative columnist Kathleen Parker says it this way:
"Palin’s recent interviews with Charles Gibson, Sean Hannity, and now Katie Couric have all revealed an attractive, earnest, confident candidate. Who Is Clearly Out Of Her League.
Or this line:
If BS were currency, Palin could bail out Wall Street herself.
At this point I'm hoping that she pulls herself out, or, better yet, she stays in, and scares those in the center even a little to the left. Hope dies hard.

Do we still really have five weeks to the election?

No comments: