Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Remember...

In a world where there are probably already too many mottoes, one of my all time favorites is "Remember - to the bee it is all about the honey."

That came to mind tonight as I ate dinner on my patio. I have a large flowering something - I would say it is cornflower, but it is pink, not blue, and it is about 4' + tall - that is crawling with bees. Tonight, in the middle of this beautiful shrub, I saw this wonderful Monarch doing whatever Monarchs do in the middle of a bunch of flowers.

I love that motto because it captures such an enormous truth about life. A bee has no idea of the importance he plays in the entire life cycle of our little planet. Maybe it is the same for us humans who oscillate between believing we are the center of the universe and wondering if our individual lives have any significance at all.

The other photo is a celebration of simple pleasures. I figure if friends making exotic trips across the continent can post photos of a dinner they eat in, say, Reno, Nevada, I can post my home made pesto, with the home grown tomato and green beans, with a salad decorated with a home grown black pepper with a class of Cab Sauv from Pelee Island.

No comments: