Sunday, September 21, 2008

Changing Skyline...


In the last post I mentioned that I'm working on a new project. My home's prior owner seemed to like straight lines. The yard was defined by 3' wide flowerbeds that circumnavigate the entire back yard and edged with paving bricks.

Everything looked like it had been laid out with a ruler and a straight edge. It was OK, but besides being too much to keep up with I did not like the rigid, right angle boundaries.

One centerpiece was a little windmill set due East of my patio. (Top photo - taken earlier this summer.) It had a gorgeous clematis over-running it, but I felt like it was more of a barrier than a invitation. But over the last year I've become quite fond of it - rust and all.

So yesterday I finally bit the bullet and moved it. It now resides (temporarily) on the south side of my yard. I transplanted the clematis as best as I could (severely reduced in size). That was the big step.

I laid paving brick in a little sidewalk leading into the yard, and my next step is to redefine the little flowerbed to the south of the brick. There are some great lilies in it and I want to add some other stuff from some of the other flowerbeds - or maybe even buy some new stuff. The bottom photo shows the new view out into the yard. If you look closely you'll see I took out the weeping cherry in the background, and you can see the brickwork in the front.

Ultimately I'm wanting to cut all the beds by at least a third, and have the rest of it stuff I can more easily care for.

No comments: