The Optimist...
Now that spring is here, I've been thinking about lawns. Last year I hired Zach, and while he did a fine job, I wanted to buy a lawn mower this summer. After talking it over with a couple of friends who have one, I decided my postage-stamp sized lawn would be well served with a hand-powered reel mower. In my research on the web I found that there is still one company in the US that makes them, and that they are still made downstate in Shelbyville. Moreover, my local hardware store is a dealer. This was just too good to be true: Help local businesses, reduce oil consumption and green house gas emissions, and get exercise all in one fell swoop. So last week when the sun was out, I placed my order.Last evening I got a call from the hardware store that my new mower was in, so this morning I drove down to John Hall's in a snow storm and picked it up. I figure that is the ultimate in optimism - to buy a new lawn mower in a snow storm.
Well I have to tell you that it paid off. By noon the sun was out and it has been a gorgeous afternoon with blue skies and slowly warming temperatures.
There was too much snow on the ground yet, and it still seemed to cold to work outside, so I drove over to Mishawaka to replenish my wine glass set. I couldn't find an identical match, but the ones I got are pretty close. Since then, its been a quiet afternoon. I made some muffins and supper is in the oven. I'm looking forward to a quiet evening at home - maybe trying out the new glasses.
Oh... More news on the woodpecker front! An alert reader from the neighborhood retirement community sent me this note:
You were talking about woodpeckers the other day. I have had a red breasted woodpecker visit the feeder off and on this winter and he has been here the last three mornings feeding in the tree and at the feeder. Also have a red breasted nuthatch, a white breasted nuthatch and a chickadee who are regular visitors as well as a half dozen cardinals and dozens of finches and sparrows.This inspired me to buy an 8' tall shepherd's crook when I was at the hardware store this morning. When the ground thaws out enough I'll get some feeders of my own out there.
No comments:
Post a Comment