Monday, March 24, 2008

The family that blogs together...

Every once in a while you pull the lever and all three pieces of fruit line up and you get the jackpot. I've never actually had that happen, but I imagine that it feels the same as when Not That Far, Some Bird and Kansas City Soil all post at roughly the same time. Cultural news, feast photos and some pretty good jokes all in five minutes. What a blast.

Tonight was another shot at fame and fortune for the Schmaltzentrubers. We played a pro bono gig for the folks at the Greencroft Health Care Center. Last time we played Greencroft it was for the monthly birthday party for people who could get around. This was a far tougher crowd because they kept wondering away or falling asleep on us. Fortunately there were a few ringers in the crowd (OK - I talked my mother into coming over) who could not only hear the lyrics but also understand them. We were a big hit. I know that because June AY's mother was in the back row shouting "More! More!!" at the end of the program. Someone suggested that if she had had a lighter she would have been holding it up.

It was a good thing she didn't have a lighter.

The only thing better than the satisfaction of playing for a group like this may be the band adjourning to Constant Spring after the show over a couple of really cheap beers and a Pork BBQ sandwich. Good company.

In other news - after a month of searching I think I've found my replacement for the guy that bailed on me last month. He won me over in the first interview, and his references can't say enough good things about him. I've done a lot of interviews over the years, and I think I can tell the real thing when I see it. I think this guy is it. I'm interviewing him again tomorrow with some other folks on staff, and if he comes through on that I'll offer him the position. This could be a huge improvement over where we are, and even where we were.

Fuming isn't the last word. All is well.

1 comment:

Joe Miller said...

It must be a family thing. I floated those jokes ad work and was jeered.