Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Road warrior...

I'm livin' the dream. Tonight I'm in Dallas. For a reasons not exactly known to me (Ok, I wasn't paying attention... if I had paid attention I could have booked a an evening flight back to Chicago, but I'm stuck here now) I'm sleeping tonight on hotel row on the north end of DFW. Hotel row is maybe 8 or 10 of the national chain hotels crammed into three Texas blocks. There's a Homestead Inn, Hampton Inn, Fairfield Inn, Sleep Inn, Hawthorn Suites, Motel 6, Super 8, Red Roof, Best Western, Worst Western and probably a couple others. There are probably rooms for a couple thousand people in this little enclave.

Now, would you like to guess how many restaurants there are within walking distance?

If you count the WhataBurger in the convenience store at the edge of it all, there is exactly one. I'd like to know who the bone head was who said "lets plop a bunch of hotels by the airport and then make it impossible to get any food without driving."

I don't have a car.

Texas, at least by DFW, is not walker friendly. (Actually there are big stretches were there are sidewalks, but that doesn't compensate for the suvs and trucks.)

I went for a run earlier this evening and in 20 minutes had a couple of near-misses. (I don't think it was a case of "Look Marge, a runner. Let's hit him." I think it was more "Say, Marge, did you just hear a thump?")

Anyhow, my hotel offers a happy hour, which turned out to be free beer, with chips, pretzels, spring rolls, salsa, and some kind of little deep fried triangles. I filled a couple little plates, washed them down with a couple of buds all the while avoiding stories in the local paper about Paris Hilton.

Tomorrow I've got to be up in time to catch a 6am flight.

Is this the life?

I'll spend tomorrow in Chicago calling on customers, and get home sometime in the evening. My trip to Cinci got postponed / canceled.

Time to stop whining.

No comments: