Saturday, June 23, 2007

Home again, home again...

All flights in this 3rd and last leg of my trip were on time. I had the aisle seat in the very back row. God, I hate red-eyes. I took this one because I didn't want to spend my whole Saturday traveling. Plus it saved the company probably $500. But when I got off the plane in Chicago I felt like death warmed over. Is any price worth this? I'll spare you my complaints, but suffice it to say the plane was crowded, dry, and, since I was in the last row by the latrine, smelly. Blech.

Enough whining about travel.

Last post I bitched about Cheney. The report I was referring to is the AP story the other day that there was a meeting scheduled among the bushwackers to debate closing the Guantanamo Bay detention center. The press jumped all over the story, and the bushwackers denied there was any such meeting. Then at yesterday's press briefing here is how the Dana Perino responded to questions:

Q Can we go on to Guantanamo? Was there a meeting scheduled for today to discuss Guantanamo?

MS. PERINO: There's meetings scheduled regularly to talk about Guantanamo, they happen frequently, they happen often, because people are charged with the responsibilities that the President has given them to try to close down that facility. Yes, there was going to be a meeting today, but there was a determination that it wasn't needed.

Q Was it because of the AP story?

MS. PERINO: I think that the decision to make -- to not have the meeting happened late in the day after that story came out.

Q So it was because of that?

MS. PERINO: What I can tell you is that meeting was not a decisional meeting...

So there was a meeting scheduled. After the AP story broke, the meeting was canceled and they denied that one had ever been scheduled. Then once the heat was off the story that they were considering closing the detention center, they admitted that there had been a meeting scheduled, but it was just a routine meeting. Balogna.

Cheney genuinely scares me. The companion story is his refusal to comply with the Executive Order 12958 requiring all Executive Branch offices to report on their use of classified information. Both Bush and Cheney claim they are exempt because they are not part of the Executive Branch.

To quote Angry Black Bitch: Blink.

Not part of the Executive Branch?

OK, I'm not very smart, and I'm certainly no expert on law. But I took American Government from Miss Wilken at North Side Junior High School, and she taught me that they ARE the Executive Branch. I know I didn't fall asleep at that point because Ruby would NEVER let that happen in her class. But like I say, I'm really not that smart so maybe I misunderstood her.

What scares me is that the bushwackers seem to think they are above the law.

And they lie about little things (there was no meeting scheduled) and big things (WMD).

I have an idea: Rather than withdraw our troups from Iraq, lets replace them with the two most powerful men in the world: Bush and Cheney. Two birds with one stone...

No comments: