Midweek Update...
We're over half way into our service trip. Tonight I'm tired, and that is after taking a half day off today for a round of golf. I spent the first half of the week at a project called "The Volunteer House" which I renamed "The Termite House" by the end of the first day. This is a house that was donated to our host agency for use in their program. It isn't clear to me what they're going to do with it, but the idea was that we were supposed to make it liveable by patching a few pieces of plaster and fixing a few windows. Within the first hour we realized that there was very significant termite damage, and we ended up gutting the house of plaster and insulation. I'm telling you it was hard, dusty work. We wore respirators, but nothing could keep all the dust out of our lungs and eyes. We filled a dumpster full of the crap. By tomorrow we may start studding out new walls.The damage these termites did was amazing. Entire sections of walls - 2x4 studs - reduced to a shell that you could crush with your fingers. The only places they didn't damage were, amazingly, the rafters and the brick exterior. If not for that brick exterior I think they would have bulldozed the whole thing and started over. This place is a cute little house in the country about 4 miles S of Meridian. If it were in my home town I'd seriously consider buying it (once it was rehabed). But we were told, believe it not, that there are no building codes and no construction inspection on county properties. Stuff is cobbled together in unbelieveable ways. I think the technical term is jabberwalkied.
I've really enjoyed the crew. It is a far bigger group than we had last year, but that is ok. We've had great conversations on everything from politics to grace versus guilt. Still at times I get too much of the group experience and need solitude.
We've had some great food. Today the host agency took us to Binkies for lunch. This is genuine traditional southern black cooking, with collard greens, sweet potatoes, barbequed pork, corn bread (3 types), fried chicken, meatloaf, okra... Do you get the idea there were a lot of options?
Anyhow...
Weather has been cool with highs in mid 50s most of the week (down from high 60s last weekend) but sunny skies most of the time. Golf has been good, with a 105 on Saturday and an even 100 this afternoon.
The stars are easier to see here because we're staying at a camp just North of Meridian, where there isn't much light pollution. Tonight before the moon came up they were exquisite.
I hope to post this first thing Thursday morning. The plan is to work until early afternoon Friday, and then start home. We should arrive Saturday sometime.
Photos to follow.
No comments:
Post a Comment