Twilight zone...
I thought maybe tonight I had stepped into the twilight zone.I got home to find an airmail letter from my son in my mailbox. Strange, this is the first written correspondence I think I've had from him since when - maybe a post card when he was at summer camp? I'm not sure.
Anyhow it was in one of those airmail envelopes, and seemed to contain several sheets of paper, and I thought 'oh, maybe this is a belated Christmas letter.' But that didn't seem right.
Then I thought about how my Dad used to send letters in #10 envelopes just like this to me. I'd think 'Oh, look - here's a letter from Dad." Then I'd open it and it was always stuffed with some article he found in the paper or in the New Yorker that he was sure I needed to read. And usually (not always) there would be some very brief hand-scrawled note about the article - and not a word of news.
So the truth was I wasn't at all surprised when I opened this letter had found a couple of forms with a hand-scrawled note that read: "Hi dad! If you could mail this in to the address on the form, with $21, I promise I'll comment on your blog. Twice! No seriously. Thanks a million. Ben"
Maybe next time it will contain an article...
No comments:
Post a Comment