Not Much, You?...
Tonight I'm in Bucky Badger territory. On my drive up this morning I started listening to Moby Dick on tape. How many classics have I not read? What a great story!I finished CD 3 as I rolled into Madison, so rather than start another I flipped to the radio and picked up most of Shubert's Symphony #5, which I've played a couple of times with the MCCO. Knowing the inside of a piece, so to speak, makes it great fun to hear it performed.
Then at the end of the piece came the usual introductions, and then a public service announcement like you so often hear on public radio. I don't remember what the announcement was, but there was no mistaking that voice: Jim Packard of Whad' Ya Know?.
It's been a few years since I've heard him, since our stupid local public radio affiliate took WYK off the air a few years ago, but there was no mistaking him. It reminded me of the time we drove all the way to Madison in, what was it... 1995? to attend a live broadcast. We got there early to claim our seats, and as we walked in the lobby, we overheard Jim Packard chatting with someone and we (especially Ben - 'cause I could see him) got saucer-eyed and elbowed each other and whispered to each other, "That's Jim Packard. He doesn't look anything like he sounds, but I'd never mistake that voice..."
We didn't get to play the quiz.
No comments:
Post a Comment