Inexorable...
The second movement of the Bach Double Violin Concerto (BWV1043) has this gorgeous descending melodic line that is played by one violin and then picked up and repeated by the second violin a few bars later.When I was studying this piece with Lon years ago, he taught me to see it as one long phrase that descends inexorably through the opening bars, instead of two or three smaller phrases. The tension of that line as it descends and is woven by the two violins into a slow ('ma non tonto' - 'but not too much') fugue makes this one of the most beautiful - even profound - pieces of music in the literature.
This post brought tears to my eyes, maybe because it echoes that inexorable passage of our lives. As much as I would like to have frozen those moments, I couldn't. So many things in life - like aging and death in various forms - are uncontrollable. I think I've forgiven myself for that. Really, who would want to control them? But letting go, at least for me, isn't a "there it's done" kind of thing.
Thanks for the memories, Leena. My love to you and Ben. May your lives make beautiful music.
No comments:
Post a Comment