Sunday, May 06, 2007

Rhubarb Crisp...

Tonight we're going to a little family gathering, and I wanted to bring a dessert. Rhubarb Crisp seemed like a good idea since it is in season, locally grown, and I figured I could make it with ingredients that didn't trigger my daughter's food allergies.

The only problem - where to get the rhubarb? I started with the three grocery stores. Not even the coop had any! Then at a dinner party last night I found a friend that had a sizeable patch that would be more than enough for me and another guest to get what we needed for pies and crisp. Great!

So today I biked over with knife and bag, and discovered that someone had cleaned it out. I was able to get some, but not nearly enough for a 9x9 crisp. What to do...

As I biked home contemplating bringing a really thin crisp, I passed by the first house I bought in Goshen. Low and behold, there was the rhubarb patch we had planted maybe 21 years ago - healthy and thriving. In a minute I was at the door - I wasn't about to steal it - and speaking with the woman we sold the house to in 1988. "Help yourself. Take as much as you want! Would you like to see what I've done with the place?" So I got the rhubarb and a tour. She just redid the kitchen (the weakest point in the house. It is really very nice, though still tiny (about the size, come to think of it, as the kitchen in my new house.)

The crisp is bubbling in the oven right now.

I think I'll want a couple of rhubarb plants at my new place. Speaking of which... I have no movement on setting a closing date. That means I probably won't get in until July. Sigh.

Tomorrow I take off for 5 days in Phoenix/Scottsdale - actually as one friend calls it - Snotsdale. Next Saturday is the final MCCO concert of the season.

1 comment:

Joe Miller said...

That's a great story. What's funny is that Allie just happened to make rhubarb crisp last night, too. She used frozen rhubarb, though.