Friday, March 16, 2007

Darkness & Shadow...

Sometimes the best map will not guide you
You can't see what's round the bend
Sometimes the road leads through dark places
Sometimes the darkness is your friend
Today these eyes scan bleached-out land
For the coming of the outbound stage
Pacing the cage
Pacing the cage

Bruce Cockburn
"Pacing the cage"
The other day my hero AngryBlackBitch wrote a great post about being in a deep funk. She figured if Bush could declare war on terror, why couldn't she declare war on her depressive funk. I don't comment on her blog often, but I was thinking of the Cockburn song when I posted this comment:
"ABB - So how is the war on terror working for scooter b and his buddies? Declaring war on emotions? Just as hopeless.

I only started getting over depression when I stopped resenting it and realized those emotions were trying to tell me something. Maybe the funk is your friend. It took me years to face that shit..."

I can believe that for some people it is all a chemical issue. Not for me.

In a related vein, a friend told me that my web presence as projected through a google search was pretty positive. It should be since I control most of it through press releases and articles that I author and publish. (If you've never quoted yourself for a press release, I recommend giving it a try. It's kind of fun.) I suggested that this blog was actually a better picture of who I really am, but even as I said it I realized that this too is a persona that I project for family and my closest friends. Do you ever wonder what I leave out?

Which gets me back to shadow and darkness. I think Jung was dead-on on so many things. Coming to terms with who we really, no kidding, are - shadow/light/darkness/life - is one of the most important things we can do in life.

Ah well, my second glass of wine is almost done, as is Charity of Night, and it is time to make some supper.

No comments: