Sunday, May 11, 2008

Quiet day...

I was going to say I didn't know what happened to this past week but that's not true. I do know. Last night was the final MCCO concert of the season and Tuesday I realized that I could either blunder through the concert bungling a lot of notes or I could put some time into practicing and see if I could still recover. Twenty minutes two or three days a week isn't enough.

So I got up Wednesday morning and put an hour in, and repeated that on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, along with dress rehearsal Friday night.

By concert time I had come a long way and I did OK, as long as I made sure the A# was really sharp enough. (One of the pieces had a movement that was in F# - which means you're playing six sharps. That's a lot of sharps. Another piece had a movement with 5 flats, which is a lot of flats.) We played a bunch of Mozart, and it was a lot of fun - worth the extra work. But the extra practicing, plus something going on about every night of the week, plus a mild cold that came on Thursday night left me worn out and dragging.

By this afternoon I was ready for a nap and a lazy day. It rained most of the day, so inside and lazy was good.

Yesterday the weather was gorgeous, so I picked up a couple plants at the market. Now I have tomatoes and peppers in the ground. Frost danger seems remote and I can finish planting any time. What is amazing to me is that stuff actually comes up. You put a seed in ground and it turns into a plant. How cool is that? Did you ever stop to think about what kind of miracle that is? I'm more and more impressed by this fact the older I get.

No comments: