Monday, October 29, 2007

Wine glasses ...

Almost exactly a year ago friend Ralph came down and spent a weekend helping me settle into my new life. His visit was a life saver.

One of the things we did was spend a couple hours wandering around Bed, Bath and Beyond. I needed a coffee maker and other kitchen-type things and we figured they'd have the best selection.

While there I made an impulse buy of four really nice wine glasses. Really nice. Crystal. Tall. Large bowl. Red wine glasses. They symbolized starting new - and much more.

Every time I see them in the cupboard or use them I think of that weekend and they've become a talisman, or a kind of prayer of thanksgiving. Thanksgiving for my closest friends, for my new life.

That's what I thought about again as I enjoyed a glass of wine after supper. And it's what I thought about when, cleaning up after supper, I brushed against my empty glass so it tipped and shattered on the counter.

Losing one of the four doesn't change the memory of that weekend, or the prayer that those glasses have become. But it is a sad evening.

Sigh...

On a happier note, I finished my closet wiring tonight. Everything works and is safely done.

Things go a lot better without artificial, self-imposed deadlines.

No comments: