Friday, October 26, 2007

Dig it...

Tonight I got home and started digging. Literally.

I decided I was finally ready to start in on some of my landscaping efforts. There is this ugly gravel space - about 4'x8' immediately outside my back door. It gets a fair bit of shade, so I'd like to put a little dogwood in there, with some hostas and I'm not sure what else. So tonight I dug up the gravel and moved it to make a path on the north side of the garagemahal.

In the process I dug a test hole where I want to put the tree to see how bad the roots are. There are some, but the real problem is that somebody buried some old chunks of sidewalk in the bed.

I'd like to curse the guy that did it, but the truth of the matter is I've done the same thing at a couple of houses I've lived in. You got some slabs of concrete or stone and you need to get rid of it. "Oh wait - here is a hole that needs filling. Isn't that convenient."

So instead of cursing, I'm digging them out. Eventually I'll haul them somewhere or bury them in another spot for another excavator to find.

Now it is dark, and the forecast is calling for 60% chance of rain all day tomorrow. Which is too bad - I was really looking forward to getting out there.

No comments: