Asparagus...
Last weekend, while walking through the Kitchener Farmer's Market after stocking up on 6yr old cheddar, I happened onto a Hutterite farmer selling, among other things, a bundle of asparagus crowns for $4. At least I think he was Hutterite. He didn't actually say, and I didn't actually ask. Anyhow, he didn't charge me anything for expert advice on how to plant them, and since they were bare roots I figured it was OK to bring them across the border. Don't tell anyone, OK?I started preparing a place for them Monday night, and since then it has either been too wet or I've been too busy to finish it so they've been sitting in my fridge all week. I think they're OK.
Tonight just before it got too dark to see, I finished pulling all the weeds from the spot I want to put them in. Tomorrow morning I should be able to get them in the ground. Then I just have to discipline myself not to touch them until 2011.
I love getting my hands dirty.
3 comments:
Good investment. I planted some last year and got my first taste this year. Next year we'll have a full five weeks of it.
are they up yet?
This morning I spotted the first few skinny little stalks poking up out of my trenches.
Post a Comment