Sunday, April 05, 2009

2.91 Earths...

Today I took another one of those carbon footprint calculator tests and it told me that if everyone on the planet lived as I live we would need 2.91 earths to support all of us.


I suppose I should take heart that I'm significantly below the national average, which is 6.53 earths. This graph shows how many acres I need to support me (112.9), compared to the national average (246.4). But that is slim consolation, because where are those other 1.91 earths going to come from?
Many of their suggestions for ways to lower my impact are things I already do. But I could do more. Like improve the insulation in my house. Like get a hybrid car. Like replace all my light bulbs with CFL bulbs. Like eat completely vegetarian. But I wonder if we can get there from here. At least voluntarily.

What is your score?

No comments: