Monday, November 12, 2007

Ahead of the curve...

I've been using my bike to commute as much as possible for the last 18 months, and now I find out that I'm just ahead of the curve.

According to this story I'm combating both my own spreading waistline AND global warming. Not only that, "Reducing car travel in favor of biking or walking would not only cut obesity and greenhouse gases, they said, it would also mean less smog, fewer deaths from car crashes, less osteoporosis, and even less depression since exercise helps beat the blues."

Normally I'm skeptical of such claims: if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. But all of this is true. Now if it would just combat terrorism, turn the economy around and end the war... but maybe I'm asking for too much.

So what are you waiting on? Leave your car in your garagemahal and start pedaling.

5:30pm Update:
What are you waiting for? I answered my own question in the middle of the afternoon when I looked out my window and saw that the 30% chance of showers had increased to 110%.

I decided not to worry about it - just take the weather as it came when it came time to leave. It kept raining. Torrential downpour is a better term.

But by the time I got on my bike shortly after 5, the downpour had eased to a soggy mist. By the time I made it home it had stopped completely.

Maybe you have to be a little nuts (you choose "headstrong" or "persistent", "obstinate" or "determined") to bike even in this kind of uncertainty. Actually the ride home was almost exhilarating.

No comments: