Sunday, July 04, 2021

Canada or bust...

I can't keep track of all the people who asked me to keep them posted about my efforts to get across the border. I decided to revive this old blog to share my progress. Chances are you landed here because I sent you a link. You should see a subscribe button somewhere on the page. Use that if you want to get email notices when I post something new. Otherwise, come back at your leisure, or not.

As you probably know, the US/Canada border has been closed since March 21, 2020. I was last in Canada to see my daughter and her family on March 9, 2020. Since then I've been Papa Glass, only present via video calls. It's better than nothing, but it has been hard missing in-person time with three - make it five - precious ones. The last time I saw the smaller ones they were 13 months and 3 1/2 years. Now they're nearly 2 1/2 and 5.  

So on June 20th, after making noises that the border might reopen, the Canadian government broke my heart again and announced they were extending closure for another month. Then the following Monday, we got whiplash when they announced special exemptions for vaccinated family members, effective July 5: we could visit and skip the 14-day mandatory quarantine. We have to show proof of vaccination, and have a negative covid test within 72 hours of arriving at the border, and take another test when we arrive.

Information has been sparse about these requirements, and the processes. The Canadian government has produced a mobile app, ArriveCan, as a platform to submit all of your documentation and manage your application. 

At this point I'm planning to get my first covid test Monday morning, and then drive to the border on Tuesday. If all goes well I hope to be at L's house by Tuesday evening. There are a lot of things that could impact that: Will the rapid PCR test offered by our local clinic be acceptable to the Canadian government, or will I have to wait here for a couple of days to get a negative test? When I get to the border, will they also use a rapid PCR test, or will i have to wait in isolation for a couple of days until I get the green light to enter?

This morning I realized that I have a friend who is visiting the US, and his Canadian apartment is empty for the rest of this week. He was happy to let me use it if necessary. That is a huge relief to know I have a place I can isolate in if I need it. 

I'll post periodic updates here. Stay tuned...

No comments: