Monday, November 10, 2008

Politics & Religion...

In the last few years there has been a stream of more thoughtful conversation about the role of religion in politics and the role of politics in religion. A friend passed along this link to a speech at the Call to Renewal. An exerpt:
Because when we ignore the debate about what it means to be a good Christian or Muslim or Jew; when we discuss religion only in the negative sense of where or how it should not be practiced, rather than in the positive sense of what it tells us about our obligations towards one another; when we shy away from religious venues and religious broadcasts because we assume that we will be unwelcome - others will fill the vacuum, those with the most insular views of faith, or those who cynically use religion to justify partisan ends.
The fact that this speech was given by the new President-elect back in 2006 gives me hope that we're on the right track.

In other news, I went for a walk last night at dusk down the mill race. They've lowered the water level, presumably for some repairs. In addition to the normal clusters of ducks and a few geese, I came upon two blue herons hunting in the shallows. Thanks to the weather I was the only walker on the race, and while they kept one eye on me as I passed they didn't fly. I could learn something about patience from watching them hunt.

Then when I got to the dam I spied seven swans a swimming. I am not making this up.

Back home I found that my garden is still able to contribute some swiss chard and rosemary to an omelet for supper. Homegrown food always cheers me up.

No comments: