Monday, November 24, 2008

New White House Blues...

Back in 1926, Charlie Poole recorded McKinley Blues, a song about the McKinley assassination. Someone rewrote that in 1932 about the election of FDR.

My brother Pete picked up the tradition and rewrote the song as the New White House Blues. We played it at Rachel's last night:
New White House Blues

Obama’s in the White House, to do his best
Bush is back in Texas, taking his rest
And he’s gone, I’m glad he’s gone

Look here Mr. Bush, it’s see what you’ve done
Started that war, left this country go to ruin
And he’s gone, I’m glad he’s gone

Got homeland security, my phone line is tapped
Soldiers fightin Mideast and I’m a fightin’ that
And he’s gone, I’m glad he’s gone

Cheney was a bad man and we’re all glad he’s gone
Took all his privilege, won’t tell what he’s done
And he’s gone, I’m glad he’s gone

Car’s are too big and gas prices soar
Now we need a bailout, tell me who’s that for?
And he’s gone, I’m glad he’s gone

Work is all gone, unemployment’s high
Man without a job, feels about to die
And he’s gone, I’m glad he’s gone

Tried to buy a house, it ain’t worth a dime
Now they tell me, just a matter of time
And he’s gone, I’m glad he’s gone

Oh Mr. Bush, we all got the blues
Looking ‘round a thrift store for a pair of worn out shoes
And he’s gone, I’m glad he’s gone

Mr. Bush is gone and we are feeling glad
Obama’s in the White House, How can we be sad?
And he’s gone, I’m glad he’s gone

(c) 2008 by Pete Miller

No comments: