Tuesday, July 15, 2008

66 days...

Back on May 10 I put an Early Girl tomato plant in my garden and today I took the first two fruits to the family dinner.

A long time ago I stopped bothering with tomatoes in restaurants. If they come on a salad I push them aside. More than any other food, tomatoes are meant to be in season and local. So the first taste of a 'real' tomato - the first tomato from my first garden - just about sent me over the edge. I had to stop myself from moaning.

I finished the lettuce and radishes a while back. I've been eating summer squash, beans, peas and kohlrabi. I wish I had planted more peas and beans. Basil is going strong. Yum.

There is so much stuff I'll do different next year, but this has been a great learning experience and I get to eat the experiments.

1 comment:

Floyd Saner said...

Hurrah for fresh in-season foods! I believe it was Dr. Paetkau who told me some biologists believe the year-round availability of all foods/fruits often leads to poorer nutrition. Rather than eating a variety of foods as they are in and out of season, people tend to eat only what they like (i.e. eat only one or two kinds of fruit) and miss the benefit of a varied diet.