Saturday, June 07, 2008

Unexpected house guest...

Sometime in the middle of the night I awoke because my blinds were flapping in the breeze. I got up and checked them, and opened them a little wider. The weather has been so unstable that I figured a gust of wind had disturbed them. I tumbled back into bed and didn't give it another thought.

Then as I awoke again in the dawn's early light I slowly became aware that I was not alone. Every homeowner in these old neighborhoods probably has at least one story of a bat visitation. I'm no stranger to it myself, having dealt with them at least once each of the two houses I owned on 8th St. I opened a screen and closed my bedroom door. She (or was it he? - I couldn't tell from where I was standing) looped back and forth for a couple minutes. I kept telling her to go lower, but she wasn't listening to me. She also kept getting tangled up in my mobile. I guess bats can't hear nylon line.

Finally she landed, seemingly exhausted, on the floor beside my bed. I pondered my next move, spotted the empty wastepaper basket, grabbed it and upended it over her, slid a New Yorker under the bottom and carefully carried her to the window and let her fly out.

Later as I lay back in bed, contemplating this post, I got to wondering what the experience was like from her perspective. What would she tell her friends and relations? What would she post on her blog? I concluded it would be something like
"Eeee eeee e e eee!!! E ee e eee eeeee, eee ee e eeee e!!! E ee eee eee-eeeee. Eee eeee e eeee? E eeeeeeeeeee ee eeee e..."

No comments: