Thursday, April 10, 2008

Check point...

My flight home arrived at about 11:20pm - a few minutes early. I happened to meet a friend from church on the same flight, and offered her a ride back to town to save her husband the late night trip to the airport. All was fine, except the airline lost her luggage (big surprise) so by the time she got that taken care of we were pulling into town at 12:50.

To my surprise, the entire police force had set up a sobriety check point in front of the high school. They were out in full force, wearing flak jackets and checking registration. I was clean, but would they have been as nice to me if my name was Juan? I know I have a broken parking light. Do I really need to tell them where I've been and where I'm going? I did because I wanted to get home, but it was a show of force that I was not expecting to see. At the time it was funny in a 'I can't believe we're having to do this on top of everything else.' In retrospect it is a little sobering.

1 comment:

ben said...

Yeah is that legal? Don't they have to have probable cause or something?