Saturday, February 17, 2007

New baby...

Last night when I picked up the pizza at Rachel's, Jim asked me come by his shop today. I figured he had another question about finishing my new mandolin; he had told me it wouldn't be done for another week. So I was surprised today when I stopped in, and there it was lying in the case like a new baby in a bassinette, all strung up and ready to cry or sing, wimper or scream. I swear it cooed at me. It is gorgeous!

Jim matched the color to my violin, which is a beautiful butterscotch, and the maple flame on the neck and back are like tiger stripes. With gold trim and a tiny orchid inlayed in the head stock (Encyclia Colombia) it is a stunning piece.

It sounds fantastic already, and will, like all string instruments, improve with age. Sometime soon I'll borrow a camera and post some images. In the meantime I gotta get to work teaching this baby all those new sounds!

No comments: