Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Tradition...

Today would have been my Dad's 92nd birthday. To bad he wasn't here to enjoy his tradition.

Strawberries come into season early in June, and every year on his birthday he wanted Strawberry Shortcake. Why would you have a birthday cake when you could have strawberry shortcake? Last night I was prepping for family dinner and I wanted to make a shortcake. Too late I realized that I was out of flour. So I called Mom and asked her if she could bring one. She was happy to. We cut and mashed up fresh berries (Ok, they weren't local, but they were still pretty good) and slathered them in white sugar.

Then I whipped up a half pint of cream. It made a big bowl (with more white sugar), and we laughed about how Pete could finally have all he wanted since Leena wasn't here to compete with him.

What a great tradition.

1 comment:

leena miller said...

i miss him. and being with the family.