Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Road trip...

Everyone is buzzing about the CEOs of the big three driving from Detroit to DC. Good for them, I say, even if they had to be shamed into it.

Of course we'll never know for sure if they are cynical or sincere. Do we get to judge that?

Speaking of cynical... A couple of posts caught my eye earlier today. This retelling of an old Ford/Toyota joke would be funny any other day of the week.

The comment about the oracle isn't funny. In about 1982 someone asked W. Edwards Deming which companies would be practicing his philosophy in 50 years. He responded with a growl "The ones that are left."

Then if that isn't enough, check out this list of the 10 worst companies of 2008. I'm not sure if my favorite quote is from Roche (“We are not in business to save lives, but to make money. Saving lives is not our business.”) or Chevron (“We can’t let little countries screw around with big companies like this.")

What do you think?

On a less cynical note...

In my own corporate life, I've launched a new blog. Check it out. A prize to anyone who reads the first posts, understands them, and doesn't fall asleep. I'm also dipping my toe in other social media like LinkedIn and Twitter.

1 comment:

ben said...

Is it maybe a bad thing that management lingo and other corporate-speak has become so utterly divorced from everyday existence? (whatever "everyday existence" may be) Is that maybe part of the reason we are reading those quotes?